Article by UCLA Law School Professor
Why Interview Prosecution Witnesses
The defense can gain significant benefits from trying to interview prosecution witnesses rather than relying on their statements. These include the ability to:
- Find leads for new evidence and people to interview.
- Gauge witnesses’ demeanor and credibility.
- Ferret out details of witnesses’ stories.
- Impeach witnesses who have made inconsistent statements.
- Establish a foundation for witnesses who are biased against the defendant.